Thursday 15 September 2011

Redknapp Denies Europa Contempt


Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp has denied he is treating the Europa League with contempt.

Spurs have left 10 of the team from Saturday's 2-0 win at Wolves at home for the trip to face PAOK Salonika.

Andros Townsend, Jake Livermore and Yago Falque could start in Greece in the absence of the likes of Gareth Bale, Luka Modric and Scott Parker.

"It's not a case of prioritising a game, it's just [using] what I have got," said Redknapp.

He pointed to a mounting injury list and Sunday's match against Liverpool as key factors in his selection.

"I couldn't bring players out here, play them on Thursday night and play the same group against Liverpool," added the Spurs boss.

"If I get a few injuries I have no back-up. I have nine senior, very, very good players who are injured.

"Some of them have played two international games so I wanted to change the team around.

"I have not been able to use the strong group I have for this first game because for this first game they're not fit.

"After this we will be able to field almost two very, very good teams in Europe."

Redknapp said defender Sebastien Bassong is likely to captain the side, which will have Giovani Dos Santos, Kyle Walker, Vedran Corluka, Roman Pavlyuchenko and either Carlo Cudicini or Heurelho Gomes as its senior players.

EUROPA LEAGUE GROUP A
Tottenham
Rubin Kazan
PAOK Salonika
Shamrock Rovers

PAOK's squad is a mix of older South American players and young Greek talent. The club is renowned for the boisterous atmosphere at its Toumba Stadium.

"They are favourites to beat us because they are a good team," Redknapp said.

"They know it will be an intimidating game but it will be a good experience. I will learn a lot about the players when I see them play."