Thursday 15 September 2011

Ortiz Happy as Mayweather Underdog


Victor Ortiz has said he is happy with his underdog status ahead of his fight with Floyd Mayweather Jr on Saturday.

The Mexican-American will defend his WBC welterweight title against the undefeated five-division world champion, who has been installed as odds-on favourite by bookmakers.

The fight in America will be Mayweather's first in 16 months, after his 'retirement' in May 2010.

"I have nothing to lose. He has everything I want," Ortiz said.

Ortiz took the WBC welterweight title from Andre Berto in April, the high point of a career that had long been tipped to scale great heights but hit a problem when he quit in the sixth round against Marcos Maidana in June 2009.

I believe in my skills, I believe in my talent, and I'm a good finisher tooFloyd Mayweather

In contrast, the career path of Mayweather has been virtually free of obstacles and he has steadily established himself as one of contemporary boxing's biggest names, alongside Manny Pacquiao.

The 34-year-old is widely regarded as one of the best defensive fighters of all time, yet Ortiz said he had never been especially impressed by the American's credentials.

"He's fought some decent guys, but guys who were on their way up or on their way out," the 24-year-old said.

"You can say whatever you want about me, but I've fought some very good guys, in their prime. I've banged with the best."

Left-handed fighter Ortiz is renowned for his punching power and, win or lose, he has knocked down every one of his 33 opponents.

In Mayweather's last bout he faced an ageing Shane Mosley in May 2010, who stung him in the second round only to fight to survive the rest of the way.

Mayweather insists that he will stand toe-to-toe with his younger opponent at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

"I'm going to go in there, I'm going to execute the game plan, I'm going to go in there with class and leave with class," said Mayweather.

"I believe in my skills. I believe in my talent and I'm coming straight ahead, so hopefully he's coming straight ahead."

The flamboyant Mayweather has predicted an early knockout on Saturday saying: "He [Ortiz] says the fight won't go the distance, I say the fight won't go the distance and so hopefully it won't go the distance.

"I'm a good finisher, too. So, when I hurt you, don't grab me, don't hold on at all. I'm going to finish you off."

The fight is likely to be another huge payday for Mayweather, one of only two boxers - Pacquiao is the other - who can consistently sell his fights to TV audiences worldwide.

It could lead to something much bigger, assuming Mayweather wins and Pacquiao dispatches Juan Manuel Marquez in their 12 November contest.

ORTIZ VS MAYWEATHER HEAD-TO-HEAD
Age: Ortiz - aged 24, Mayweather - aged 34
Height: Ortiz - 5ft 9in (1.75m), Mayweather - 5ft 8in (1.73m)
Total fights: Ortiz - 33, Mayweather - 41
Knockouts: Ortiz - 22, Mayweather - 25
Wins: Ortiz - 29, Mayweather - 41
Losses: Ortiz - 2, Mayweather - 0
Draws: Ortiz - 2, Mayweather - 0