Friday 16 September 2011

Bolt and Blake Superb in Brussels


World champions Yohan Blake and Usain Bolt were the stars of the show with superb displays at the Diamond League meeting in Brussels.

Blake, who won 100m gold in Daegu, ran the second-fastest 200m time ever with 19.26 seconds, overtaking Michael Johnson's mark of 19.32.

Bolt had earlier thrilled the crowd with the fastest time of the year in the 100m, clocking 9.76.

Britain's world champion Dai Greene was second in the 400m hurdles.

The Welshman was second behind world silver medallist Javier Culson in 48.78 but he still won the overall Diamond League crown.

Blake's time, which shaved 0.52 off his personal best, was slower only than Bolt's world record of 19.19.

The 21-year-old appeared to take it easy round the bend before powering away down the home straight to beat the 19.40 Bolt ran to win the world title in Daegu.

"Tonight I was aiming to run 19.5. I was expecting something fast but not this fast," Blake said afterwards.

"The last 40 metres was crazy. I'm like a beast. I just take it out on the track.

"When I saw him [Bolt] run 19.40 at the worlds I knew I could go fast like that.

"I am the man next to him next year. I'm looking forward to competing with him next year."

Bolt was slow out of the blocks and compatriot Nesta Carter was right alongside him until the 60m mark before Bolt pulled away.

But he admitted he was surprised by Blake's 200m performance.

"That's amazing for me. I'm shocked he did so well," Bolt said.

"I've seem him run a couple of 200m and he's run them badly. I told him to take it easy round the bend. He ran a wild time."

"Today I was really happy with myself. It's [a false start, as he did in the 100m in Daegu] not going to happen again. I made one mistake and I won't let it happen again."

Greene finished behind Culson but still landed a prize of $40,000 [£25,330] and admitted afterwards: "I've felt mentally on holiday for the past few weeks. I'm not motivated by the money but I knew I should do this race because it was in my best interest."

There was also disappointment for Australian world champion Sally Pearson who fell in the 100m hurdles.