Saturday 24 September 2011

Federer Skips Shanghai Masters


Roger Federer has pulled out of next month's Shanghai Masters to "rest and recuperate" after a gruelling summer.

The 16-times Grand Slam champion suffered a five-set loss to Novak Djokovic in the US Open semi-finals at Flushing Meadows earlier this month.

Federer then travelled to Australia to aid Switzerland's return to the Davis Cup World Group.

"I have some nagging injuries that I need to address," the world number three told the ATP official website.

"After consultation with my team, I've unfortunately decided to pull out of the Shanghai Masters in order to take some necessary time to rest and recuperate after a long summer.

"I look forward to returning to the ATP World Tour as soon as possible.

"I have very fond memories of Shanghai so I will miss this amazing tournament and all my loyal Chinese fans, but I look forward to returning to China next fall."

Federer's next scheduled match is on 31 October at his hometown Swiss Indoors event in Basel.