Monday 28 November 2011

Haye Waiting for WBC Vitali Call


Former heavyweight world champion David Haye is in talks to fight WBC title holder Vitali Klitschko in March 2012.

Haye, 31, who retired in October after losing to the Ukrainian's brother Wladimir, says he will lower his pay demands to make sure the fight happens.

"I haven't seen a contract but there's definitely talks going on," he told the BBC's Hardtalk programme.

"I said before I retired I would love that fight and there's a date in March that's already been talked about."

He added: "I said I'd want to fight Vitali, the big brother of Wladimir, who beat me in my last fight. They're the only guys I'd consider coming out of retirement for."

London-born Haye, who had moved up from cruiserweight to take the heavyweight crown, lost his title in a unification bout when he was beaten on points by Wladimir in July and announced his retirement three months later, on his 31st birthday.

The Briton said after the fight that his performance against the WBO, IBF and IBO champion had been affected by a broken toe.

Haye admits nothing is certain yet on the proposed match-up with older brother Vitali.

"Whether it happens or not I don't know," he said.

"What I will do is make sure I am in good shape so if the fight for whatever reason does happen, if they give me what I believe I deserve and if the date for the TV networks all comes together, then it would be something I would seriously consider."

Haye also admits that he "does not deserve" a 50/50 split in match revenue this time around.

"The last bout was a 50/50. This time I don't deserve that. I don't have a title, but what I do bring is excitement and I bring a value - but I don't believe it's 50/50."

Haye had previously won the WBA belt by beating giant Russian Nikolay Valuev on points in Germany in November 2009.

He then defended his title by stopping American John Ruiz the following April, while his other successful defence came against fellow Briton Audley Harrison in Manchester.

FACTFILE
2002: Wins first fight as a pro against Tony Booth
2004: Loses for the first time against former WBO champion Carl Thompson
2005: Beats Alexander Gurov for EBU cruiserweight belt
2007: Wins WBC cruiserweight title against Jean-Marc Mormeck
2008: Lifts WBO title against Enzo Maccarinelli and announces he is moving up to heavyweight
2009: Beats WBA heavyweight champion Nikolay Valuev on points
2010: Defends title against American John Ruiz in April
2011: Loses to Wladimir Klitschko in Hamburg in July
2011: Retires on his 31st birthday