Sunday 20 November 2011

Wigan's Whelan Considers Retirement


Wigan chairman Dave Whelan has admitted he is considering giving control of the club to his 21-year-old grandson David.

The 74-year-old bought the Latics 16 years and has overseen their rise from the bottom division of the Football League to the Premier League.

But Whelan has revealed he may step down after six years in the top flight.

"The time comes for everyone when you need to retire or take a step back because you're simply not what you used to be," he told FC Business magazine.

"What I would like to do is create a dynasty here at Wigan Athletic. My grandson is a bright boy, and is massively keen on football and Wigan Athletic. I'm inclined to let him have a go and I hope that happens."

The former Blackburn Rovers and Crewe Alexandra player said he was proud of his achievements with the club.

"I've enjoyed myself immensely," he said. "We've come from the fourth division to the Premier League. It is a dream come true."

Bottom-of-the-table Wigan escaped relegation on the last day of last season and face another battle for survival.

But Whelan insists the club has a bright future even if they are relegated from the Premier League.

"I don't think it will be, but our time in the Premier League may come to an end this season," he said.

"If that happens, I'm not worried. There is resilience in this club that is unlike any other I have come across.

"This club will always be here for the people of Wigan."