Tuesday 29 November 2011

Kaymer to Remain in Europe


Martin Kaymer insists he has no plans to follow the leads of Rory McIlroy and Lee Westwood by committing himself to playing a full schedule on the PGA Tour.

Last week Westwood joined McIlroy in confirming he had decided to take up PGA Tour membership for the 2012 season.

That means both men will now divide their time between Europe and America, although they will have to play a minimum of 15 tournaments in the States.

Luke Donald - who is on the verge of winning the money-list on both sides of the Atlantic this year - has proved that it is possible to combine the two Tours successfully, but Kaymer believes the travelling involved would compromise his form.

The German, who sits just below McIlroy and Westwood at number four in the world, is adamant he will continue to focus his attention solely on the European Tour for the time being.

"I just don't know why Rory and Lee go back and forth, and that to me seems a little strange," he stated.

"One year they are on the PGA Tour and next they're not. But it's their decisions and they can make up their own minds."

Asked if he had thought about combining the two, he continued: "I did, for a little bit, but then I saw - I put both schedules next to each other from the PGA Tour and The European Tour.

"I think I have to play 12 tournaments in Europe and 15 in America to fulfil the status, and I think it will be a little bit too much, like travelling, you know, and that's why I decided to stick to the schedule that I had the last two, three years."