Monday 21 November 2011

Fancy Meeting you here Guus.....


Former Chelsea manager Guus Hiddink says his relationship with owner Roman Abramovich "has been, and will always be, very good" as pressure grows on Andre Villas-Boas.

Sunday's defeat against Liverpool means Chelsea are now 12 points behind leaders Manchester City. They have conceded 17 goals in 12 matches, 11 of them at home, and with the two Manchester clubs striding away it is clear that Villas-Boas's honeymoon period is over.

Hiddink, who left his role as Turkey manager last week, remains close to Abramovich, and the Dutchman has been heavily linked with a return to the club in a Director of Football role. That position has been vacant since Frank Arnesen's departure last season.

"The relationship (with Abramovich) was, has been, and will be good – very good," said Hiddink. 'When I go to London I am always welcome, or in Cobham, or at the stadium.

'We don't speak every week, but every now and then there is contact and I feel very welcome always. We'll see what the future will bring."

Last week Hiddink said: “It was great at Chelsea, a terrific time, but that doesn’t mean I am ready to start tomorrow. I need some time to reflect.

“I’m not ready to retire, I like to be involved with a team on a daily basis, but maybe I am ready to step out of the limelight a little bit, away from the cameras. Hopefully I will still be involved but perhaps it will be as an adviser or a consultant.”

The 65 year-old won the FA Cup with Chelsea in 2009 and is a close friend of owner Roman Abramovich. Sources close to the former Australian and South Korea coach have confirmed he has been approached about taking job at a Premier League club.