Tuesday 24 May 2011

Usain Bolt Returns to Rome Action


Olympic 100m champion Usain Bolt makes his European season debut at Thursday's Rome Diamond League meeting, taking on Asafa Powell over 100m.

But he has his eyes on a meeting with Gay before the World Championships in Daegu, South Korea, which start at the end of August.

"We're going to take the Diamond League as a stepping stone leading to the World Championship to determine how good my start is, what I need to adjust," he explained.

"If me and Tyson meet before the World Championship it would be good - to determine what I need to do and don't need to do."

"For me last season was just a season. It wasn't a serious season," he said.

"But this season I'm ready and I'm just working hard trying to get into shape."

The rivalry between Bolt and Gay is great for athletics. Before last August, some had questioned whether Bolt had any serious competition - something that clearly never crossed Bolt's mind.

"Tyson is like a track guru!" Bolt said with a wide grin. "I think he works harder than everybody. He said it: he doesn't drink, he doesn't party… I don't think he does anything but track!

"He does everything so well. He's so determined.

"When he runs you can see it in his eyes that he wants to win. He works hard and he's determined that he wants to be the best."

Gay isn't Bolt's only rival and on Thursday fellow Jamaican Asafa Powell, the 100m world record-holder from 2005 to 2008 also competes.

"Asafa has laid the foundation for Jamaicans in the 100m sprint."


No comments: