Friday 27 May 2011

Bolt Runs 9.91seconds in Rome



World 100m record holder Usain Bolt returned to the track after a near 10-month absence with victory at the Diamond League meeting in Rome. However, it was a rather lacklustre display by the Jamaican's own standards, winning in 9.91 seconds.

"I was nervous, as it was my first race of the season. I didn't think it went well and the nerves got to me," the sprinter said.

"It was a totally bad race and I'm just pleased I won."

Bolt continues his Diamond League season in Oslo in Norway on 9 June, in preparation for the World Championships in South Korea in August.

"Today was just to get the cobwebs out," he added. "But I got through the race injury free and now I'm just looking forward to the next race."

Bolt was given a rapturous reception as he was introduced to the 47,000 fans in the stadium, but when it came to the race itself, he was slow out of the blocks.

But in his first outing since losing to Tyson Gay in Stockholm on 6 August last year, the Jamaican star found his rhythm in the second 50m to edge past compatriot Asafa Powell, who ran 9.93, in the final few metres.

French European champion, Christophe Lemaitre, crossed the line third, in 10.00.

BBC Sport commentator Steve Cram said: "He was poor out of the blocks even if he did pick up towards the finish.

"He is definitely going to have to go away and work hard on that. By his very high standards you could almost call it average. I have no doubt there is more to come from him.

"But if Tyson Gay was watching, he would be pretty pleased and thinking 'Bring it on'."


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: