Friday 13 May 2011

Ancelotti Works Through Speculalion

Carlo Ancelotti 

Carlo Ancelotti is refusing to contemplate the possibility that Saturday's game against Newcastle will be his last home match as Chelsea boss.Speculation is rife that the Italian will be sacked in the summer after leading Chelsea to their first trophy less season in three years. 

But he said: "I don't want to think about it being my last [home] game."

"I don't know what is going to happen about my future but I'm not nervous. I'm quiet. I'm calm."

Despite a late surge in the league, Chelsea are all but certain to have fallen short of Premier League success behind Manchester United, while early exits in the Champions League, FA Cup and League Cup have ensured they will end the season empty-handed for the first since Avram Grant led the team to second in the table and the Champions League final in 2008.

These results have led to widespread reports that Ancelotti will depart Stamford Bridge at the end of the season - with the likes of Harry Redknapp, Mark Hughes and Porto boss Andre Villas-Boas suggested as his successor.

Still, Ancelotti insists his focus will solely be on leading his team to victory against the Magpies on Saturday.

"I am focused to put the best team out, to win, to say thanks to our fans," he said."They gave us fantastic support and it's not been an easy season for them."It doesn't matter if it's my last or not [home match as Chelsea boss]."

"We have to wait and see what happens at the end of the season."

"Our aim is to reach second place. This is the motivation for the players - to play a good game, have a reaction after the bad game we had against United."

"Second place is important. We have to do our best to reach this position in the table."

"I hope to stay - I've said a lot of times - but if something's changed, I will find another solution without problem."

The Italian's sacking would mean the club would be looking for their seventh manager in eight years.

Ancelotti still appears to enjoy the backing of the supporters - something for which he is grateful.

"For me, it's fantastic," he said. "To think they appreciate my job and are close to me, continue to say this, it's a good step and aim that I was able to reach in this year."

"I think that I have a very good relationship with the players too."

"But I don't think it would be a problem for next season if I'm not here. I hope, obviously, to stay here. But there may be another coach and they'll have the same relationship."

"We're speaking about very professional players, players with a lot of experience."

"Every coach who was here in the past had a good relationship with the players. They gave, all the time, their best."


No comments: