Wednesday 9 March 2016

Wallabies Kurtley May Beale with Wasps

Getty Images
Kurtley Beale is reportedly set to sign a record two-year deal worth A$2.7 million (Australian dollars) with the London Wasps, according to reports in the Daily Mail.

Such a deal is unlikely to be matched by the Australian Rugby Union even if Beale enters into a flexible deal which allows him to play in Japan.

It would make the Waratahs and Wallabies inside centre the highest-paid player in the English premiership, and the equal-highest paid Australian abroad along with Matt Giteau at Toulon.

Crucially, the 27-year-old – who has a troubled disciplinary record – would still be able to play for the Wallabies given he has now played 60 Tests for Australia.

The Wasps director of rugby Dai Young, while unwilling to discuss specific transfer negotiations, said: “You’ve got to do your own due diligence.

“You certainly don’t want to bring anyone into this environment who’s going to upset the apple cart with the players.

“I certainly don’t want to bring anyone here who won’t maintain the standards of what we expect of Wasps players and staff. I take my responsibilities very seriously on that.

“A lot of people make mistakes, and I’m sure me and you have made a few when we were younger. Some are more documented than others.

“But I’m confident anybody I bring into this environment I’ve done my homework on. What they’ve done in the past is the past.

“But I’m confident that any player who is in this environment will not reflect poorly on Wasps.”

Should Beale arrive, he will team up with the former England fly-half Danny Cipriani who will return to his first club from Sale next season.


No comments: