Sunday 20 March 2016

TIm Howard Makes Rapid Exit


Tim Howard will join Colorado Rapids at the end of the Premier League season in a deal thought to be worth around £415,000, bringing to an end his 10-year spell at Everton.

The goalkeeper has found himself out of favour in recent months, with the manager, Roberto Martínez, preferring Joel Robles in goal, and has chosen to return to the US rather than see out the remaining year of his contract. “I will remain an Evertonian for life,” Howard said. “This will always be my team, my club. I sacrificed so much to play the amount of games I have over a 10-year period, so I will continue to support this club that I love.

“The club is amazing, I love it and I will always be an Everton player. I have been at Everton 10 years and it’s been a brilliant 10 years. I spoke to my family, I spoke to Roberto and I spoke to the chairman, Bill Kenwright. We had really great discussions and we all felt this was the right move and the right time.

“They supported my decision, they have always been 100% committed to me and they appreciated the fact that it’s time for me to go back home and play my football. There are a few more months left which I am excited about because I realise it’s now coming to an end, so I will get my head down and enjoy the remaining time.”

Espnfc.com reported that the American has signed a three-year contract with the Rapids, where it is said he will earn around £1.7m per year.

“I will miss [Everton] a lot,” Howard added. “This is home. I grew up here. To stay 10 years in any place is a long time and this has become without doubt my family. You see the same faces every day and you have respect for them, you have love for them and a great working relationship. And because this is home, of course I will miss it, but I’m excited about my move to Colorado Rapids and continuing my career with them.”

The 37-year-old started his career in the MLS with North Jersey Imperials and then MetroStars before moving to Manchester United in 2003 for around £2.3m. He made a loan move to Everton permanent in 2007 and was a key part of several successful seasons under the management of David Moyes.

“Tim is such an incredible character,” Martínez said. “With certain players, their contribution goes a little bit further than starting in the team or not and Tim is probably the perfect case of that. He is such an influence on the young players. We had a really good group of young players coming through in the last three years and Tim has been a vital player in helping those players feel Everton and to understand what it takes to play in the team.

“In a pure goalkeeping sense his level three seasons ago when we reached the club record Premier League points tally was one of the best seasons we have had,” Martínez added. “From that point on, Tim has always helped Joel Robles and he has introduced him to what it takes to play for Everton.”

No comments: