Monday 21 March 2016

Neville Delays England Trip


Gary Neville has delayed joining the England squad for the internationals against Germany on 26 March and Holland three days later so he can focus on reviving the fortunes of Valencia.

His decision comes after Valencia lost 2-0 at home to Celta Vigo on Sunday, a third consecutive La Liga defeat which left Neville’s side six points above the relegation zone and fans at the Mestalla chanting “Neville go now”.

The England assistant coach said: “I have just spoken to Roy Hodgson and am going to stay back in Valencia. I feel it’s the right thing to do.”

He continued: “Obviously it’s not an ideal situation, in respect to the fact that before I came here I was the assistant coach for the national team of England, with 60 million people, but I understand the two or three million people in Valencia need my attention this week.

“The last thing I want is for people here to say Gary Neville lacks commitment, because it’s not something that’s ever been said about me in my life.

“Obviously I have a dual role, at this moment in time. I’ve been England coach for three and a half years and I’ve loved doing that. These are friendly matches, very important matches for England, but I also have three very important days here coaching the players.

“I said last week I’ve come to love this club and this city and I want to give my all to the club. They deserve nothing less.”

Neville felt the anger of the Mestalla crowd after Valencia were beaten 2-0 by Celta Vigo on Sunday, conceding two goals in the last 10 minutes for a third successive defeat in La Liga which left them six points above the relegation zone.

The former Manchester City striker John Guidetti scored Celta’s first in the 80th minute and their captain Hugo Mallo added the second soon afterwards, the home fans responding with chants of “Neville go now”.

Celta’s victory took them above Athletic Bilbao, who lost 2-1 at Espanyol, into the top six to boost their chances of European football next season.

Valencia, who were eliminated from the Europa League by Athletic Bilbao on away goals last Thursday, were fortunate to make it to half-time without conceding a goal after Celta created a series of excellent chances.


No comments: