Tuesday 8 March 2016

Recipe for Disaster = Geoffrey Boycott


Geoffrey Boycott has labelled Yorkshire’s financial situation “a recipe for disaster” as he seeks a place on the club’s board.

The former captain is one of four candidates standing for election to the board at Headingley but is alone among them in being labelled ‘Not recommended by board’ on the voting form sent to club members.

He told BBC Radio Five Live: “It’s just disappointing, isn’t it? I’m not trying to cause any problems, create any trouble.

“I want to help the club… I’ve been with it 60 years. I think somebody has to speak up for the members.

“The debt has gone from £5m in 2002 to £24m in 12 years. So the businessmen on the board haven’t done a very good job, have they?

“We can’t go on borrowing money – £24m is huge... that’s a recipe for disaster.”

Boycott previously served on the board between 2007 and 2012 before becoming club president for two years.

Another former Yorkshire and England batsman, Michael Vaughan, renewed his call for Boycott to end his bid to return to the corridors of power.

“I like it when he says he’s not trying to cause any trouble,” said Vaughan. “Well, he is. He’s certainly done that.

“He’s passionate, I love him to bits, but he’s 75 years of age. Come on Geoffrey, go and have a game of golf!

“Geoffrey has been on that board – I believe in his time the debt rose by 60%.

“I don’t see what he’s going to do on the board that could improve that £24m debt. I just think (the argument is) sad… it’s boring, isn’t it?”


No comments: