Friday 11 March 2016

Spieth Paints Bleak Picture at Valspar

Getty Images
Jordan Spieth is in danger of missing his second cut this year after carding an opening-round five-over-par 76 at the Valspar Championship in Florida.

The American, 22, is nine shots behind American joint leaders Keegan Bradley, Ken Duke and Charles Howell III.

Spieth, who will defend his Masters title in April, also missed the cut at the Northern Trust Open in February.

The defending champion never recovered from making five bogeys and a birdie in the first seven holes.

Typically, my history (on my off days), I'm able to hold that around even par and I'm just shooting too high a number," Spieth said. "(I) didn't quite squeak out even today, even though it was an even kind of round, and hopefully less wind tomorrow and I can work hard to play on the weekend."

"I just didn't hit enough greens," Spieth said. "I had the opportunities on a few holes today and actually there was a lot of holes where I thought if I hit great shots posing and it's 10, 15 yards off on the distance based on the gust of the wind.

"It was a very tough day."

"I got off to a poor start and I was behind the eight-ball with gusty wind on a tough golf course," said Spieth, who found himself getting tentative after repeatedly flying greens.

"It's so tough on some of these putts down the hill to hit them as hard as we have to hit them," Spieth explained. "... You don't see it. It's an adjustment. It's something you got to trust. It's one thing to practice on the greens and get used to it, it's another to actually do it.

"What good is kicking the door other than hurting my foot and (having to) withdraw?," Spieth said good-naturedly. "I'm kidding. No, I'll be fine."


No comments: