Thursday 3 December 2015

Boks Coach Meyer Steps Down


Heyneke Meyer will not seek a renewal of his contract to coach South Africa when his current deal expires on 31 December, the South African Rugby Union has confirmed.

Meyer had said he would like to stay after leading the team to third place at the Rugby World Cup, but has made an about-turn after receiving stinging criticism of the team’s style of play and his record on transformation of the side.

South Africa were beaten 34-32 by Japan in their tournament opener before succumbing to eventual champions New Zealand in the semi-finals.

“I have always put the Springboks first in my time as coach and since returning from England I have realised that as much as I believe I still have a lot to offer, the time has come for change,” Meyer said in a press statement.

“My integrity has always been very important and I feel I can leave with my head held high. I’ve always maintained that my only motivation was to serve my country and to do what was best for the Springboks.

“I have put my heart and soul into the job and did my very best. I believe that, overall, I leave the team with much to look forward to in 2016, with new structures in place to ensure the Springboks will remain competitive on the world stage.

“The Springboks are a special team and carrying the hopes of a nation is a huge responsibility and great privilege. I realised that yet again with all the support I received from ordinary South Africans, both at the World Cup and upon our return to the country. Thank you to the countless faithful, positive and passionate supporters that have made my job as coach a joy.”

Oregan Hoskins, president of the South African Rugby Union, called the moment “a natural watershed”, adding: “Heyneke gave his all for the Springboks and it was a great pleasure to work with such a passionate South African. There were many highlights during his time as coach and those are the moments we will remember.”


No comments: