Monday 21 December 2015

Kyrgios and Wawrinka Mend Fences


Four months after Nick Kyrgios served up his infamous sledge to Stan Wawrinka, the Australian says they have mended their relationship to the point “it’s almost like nothing happened”.

French Open champion Wawrinka was fuming at the Montreal Masters in August when Kyrgios, mid-match, took a spiteful swipe at the Swiss by claiming fellow Australian Thanasi Kokkinakis slept with his girlfriend.

“So disappointing to see a fellow athlete and colleague be so disrespectful in a way I could never even imagine,” Wawrinka tweeted.

Kyrgios was fined $US10,000 by the ITF and the 20-year-old – not for the first time – received a barrage of criticism for his brash antics.

It seems the end of another arduous season and the camaraderie of a teams event have healed the wounds – at least according to Kyrgios.

The pair spent the last few weeks together as Singapore Slammers team-mates competing in the International Premier Tennis League throughout Asia and the Middle East.

“It’s been really good actually,” Kyrgios told Fox Sports in Singapore after the Slammers beat the Indian Aces in the final on Sunday.

“We’ve all been chatting. I feel we’re much more comfortable with each other now. It’s almost like nothing happened. We’re out there competing, we’re playing for the same team, we want to win.

“That’s been the main thing – is me just getting up and giving him all the energy I give everyone else, and he’s appreciated that and he’s been playing some really good tennis as well.”

Kyrgios appeared to relish the team aspect of the IPTL but, even with the Australian Open looming next month, the world No30 wasn’t about to declare he had rediscovered love for the sport.

“I wouldn’t say I love the sport to be honest,” said Kyrgios. “I love winning that’s the main thing. I love competing. Tennis is my life. I wouldn’t know what to do without it that’s for sure. But to say I love it is a pretty strong word.”


No comments: