Monday 28 May 2012

Not a G'Day in Paris for Hewitt


Former world number one Lleyton Hewitt made an early exit from the French Open, losing 7-6 6-3 6-7 6-3 to Slovenian Blaz Kavcic.

Little was expected of the Australian, who is now ranked 175 after a series of injury setbacks - the latest of which meant radical surgery on an arthritic big toe.

The 31-year-old has had little more than two weeks' practice heading to Roland Garros and it showed, as he faded in the fourth set to lose in three hours and 50 minutes.

"The last couple of years every practice, every match has been painful," Hewitt acknowledged - while indicating his never-say-attitude remains intact.

"After coming back from surgery, I was still hungry enough to have a shot.

"I had to start somewhere - I'm sure tomorrow I'll pull up pretty sore (but) it was good for a lot reasons to go out there and play. I lasted nearly four hours and physically felt fine."

The 15-ranked Feliciano Lopez was the first seeded play to fall on Monday when the Spaniard retired from his match against Florent Serra.

Lopez lost the first five games against the Frenchman before calling time due to a side strain which he picked up during practice last week.

"In the beginning, I felt it was nothing really serious, but (the) day after, I couldn't play almost," Lopez said.

"I tried to rest during the weekend just to try to play today, but it was impossible."


No comments: