Thursday 31 May 2012

Dettori Not Retiring Despite Epsom


Frankie Dettori insists he has no plans to retire from horse racing despite failing to secure a ride in the Epsom Derby.

Dettori will ride at Haydock on Saturday instead in a move that prompted a claim on Twitter he is quitting the sport.

The former Derby-winning rider lost his status as Goldolphin's only retained jockey this year.

He told the Racing Post "I've got at least five more years in me."

"I'm only 41 and would challenge any jockey to a one-on-one."

It is the first time in 20 years Dettori does not have a ride in the Derby apart from in 2000 when he was recovering after being involved in a plane crash.

Goldolphin are not fielding a runner in the race and Dettori also lost out to Mickael Barzalona for the seat on Godolphin's only entry in Epsom Oaks, the unbeaten filly Kailani.

Barzalona and Silvestre de Sousa now rival Dettori for rides at Goldolphin.

He added: "I'm a soldier in a team. I do what I'm told. The boss has the power to decide who rides and I've been a good soldier for the past 18 years.

"Mickael got the ride in the Oaks on the word of the boss (Sheikh Mohammed) and Mahmood Al Zarooni.

"Nevertheless, I then got a call from Coolmore asking if I could ride in the Oaks. The boss said I could if I wanted to. As it happened nothing came of it but it shows I'm in demand."

Dettori has produced 13 winners in his 92 rides this season.


No comments: