Wednesday 30 May 2012

Dylan Tombides Talks About Cancer



Rising Aussie football star Dylan Tombides opens up over his 10-month battle with cancer, saying he can't wait to play football again.

The 18-year-old was diagnosed with testicular cancer during last year's U17 World Cup in Mexico. Surgeries and a gruelling course of chemotherapy followed, but Tombides is now focusing on his future.

He's not completely out of the woods yet. He has to have another nine monthly blood tests before getting the all clear, but football is again a top priority and he is now back in training, setting his sights on winning a squad place at his English club, newly-promoted Barclays Premier League outfit West Ham United.

Speaking to The Daily Mail, Tombides reveals he went through some tough times dealing with the chemotherapy and praised his family for their unwavering support.

"There were times when I would just look at Mum and tell her, “I don’t want the chemo any more, I will live with the cancer”. That’s how I felt at times," he said.

"It took five to 10 days to bounce back from each chemo blast and there is no trick to dealing with it.

"My team-mates wanted to visit me but I told them not to because I couldn’t stay awake for longer than 15 minutes and couldn’t always remember what was happening."



No comments: