Sunday 7 February 2016

Froome Wins Herald Sun Tour

Getty Images
Chris Froome has won the Herald Sun Tour in Australia after overhauling fellow Briton and Team Sky team-mate Peter Kennaugh on the final stage.

Two-time Tour de France winner Froome was 13 seconds behind Kennaugh at the end of the third stage, but finished 29 seconds in front of his compatriot.

Froome produced a solo push on the 121.8-km fourth stage on the Mornington Peninsula in Victoria to win.

Kennaugh ended the final stage in seventh but was second overall.

"It's an amazing feeling," said Froome, who won the King of the Mountains jersey.

"I put in a lot of hard yards this winter, which obviously hasn't been easy with a new family starting and everything back home. A massive thank you to my family for giving me the support I need to do this job."

He added: "Kennaugh had a good day but he also gave me the all-clear from behind. Massive thanks to Pete for doing that."


No comments: