Monday 19 November 2012

Barney Wins Dart Grand Slam


Five-time world champion Raymond van Barneveld defeated Michael van Gerwen in an all-Dutch final to win the Grand Slam of Darts in Wolverhampton.

Van Barneveld won 16-14 to clinch his first major title since winning the Las Vegas Desert Classic in 2007.

"It's amazing. I'm emotional. It's hard to find the words to describe this feeling," said the 45-year-old.

He had earlier beaten Andy Hamilton, runner-up at the last World Championships, in the semi-final.

"I've put a lot of effort in this week and it's gone great for me," added van Barneveld.

Van Gerwen, who won the World Grand Prix in Dublin last month and knocked out defending Grand Slam champion Phil Taylor earlier in the competition, was unable to claim a second successive major title.

He said: "I've played well this week and it feels very good for me to reach another final.

"There can only be one winner though and Raymond was the better player. He deserved to win.

"I want to keep this going now in the future tournaments and I'm looking forward to the next events now. I'll be back."


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: