Sunday 30 October 2011

Williams Confirms Retirement Plan


Shane Williams has confirmed he wants to end his international career in Wales' match against Australia in Cardiff on 3 December.

Wales' record try-scorer had announced he would give up international rugby at the end of the World Cup.

But the 34-year-old, who has won 86 caps, hopes to be given an opportunity to say farewell on home soil.

"I am going to make myself available for this game. If selected, I want to play," he told the Wales on Sunday.

"If I am picked I will treat it in the same way I have always treated Wales games, but it will be a sad day for me. In fact, I'll be devastated.

"But to bow out in front of Welsh fans and my family and friends would be like a dream."

Williams helped Wales to a fourth-place finish at the World Cup, with his three tries in the competition extending his record tally to 57 scores.

Before facing Australia in the bronze medal match, Williams had said he was being persuaded to delay his retirement until the Wallabies visited the Millennium Stadium in December.

And after a tournament that promised so much in New Zealand ended in disappointing fashion as Wales lost 21-18 to Australia, Williams hopes victory in Cardiff would be a more fitting farewell.

The wing intends to continue his club career with Ospreys, where he is under contract until the end of the 2012-13 season, but insisted he will not be tempted to extended his international career for this season's Six Nations Championship.

"I always said I would know in myself when the time came to stop playing for Wales and that time is very nearly upon me," said the 2009 International Rugby Board Player of the Year.

"After this last game in December, that's definitely it for me, there'll be no changing my mind."