Tuesday 18 October 2011

Shahid Afridi Out of Retirement


Shahid Afridi says he has come out of international retirement and will be available for selection for Pakistan's one-day team.

Afridi retired in May in protest at the Pakistan Cricket Board, following a public row with coach Waqar Younis.

Younis has since quit his role and Ijaz Butt has been replaced as board chairman by Zaka Ashraf.

"I didn't as such retire, I only said I wouldn't play under the previous board," said Afridi.

"I had problems with the previous board and team management and I had made it clear they didn't allow me to enjoy my cricket for Pakistan.

My only desire is to play for Pakistan again and I welcome the new chairman of the board and am confident he will improve things in Pakistan cricketShahid Afridi

"Now that the board and team management set-ups are changed I am ready to play for my country and available for selection. I feel I still have a few years of cricket left in me."

Afridi, who led his team to the 2011 World Cup semi-finals, added: "My only desire is to play for Pakistan again and I welcome the new chairman of the board and am confident he will improve things in Pakistan cricket."

Afridi, who has played in 27 tests and 325 one-day matches, has had a controversial career and was banned and fined twice by the International Cricket Council.

Pakistan take on Sri Lanka in Abu Dhabi in the first match of the Test series, starting on Tuesday.