Thursday 27 October 2011

Smit Keen to Make Saracens Impact


Former Springbok captain John Smit is keen to make a big impact for Saracens in the Aviva Premiership this season.

The man who led South Africa at the recent World Cup in New Zealand and to glory in the 2007 tournament in France insists that he has not joined Sarries for financial reasons.

"There are two types of players who have come here from the southern hemisphere," he told The London Evening Standard.

"There are the guys who want to come here and make a life here. Those guys have invariably done well and proven to be an asset to their clubs.

"You have had other guys who have come here and sat around and not paid the Premiership that respect. I'm fully aware of that, and it's not my intention.

"For someone who has played as long as I have, the last thing I want is for people to say I came here for two or three years and just sat around.

"Speaking frankly, there are many clubs someone like me could have gone to, jumped on the boat and seen how far it would take me.

"Saracens is not that kind of club. This is a dynamic club making huge inroads, and one that has been hugely successful over the past two years."

Smit believes he can add value at Saracens and hopes to share his vast knowledge of the game with the younger players at the club.
Blessed

"I'm blessed to have been given a lot of information and skills by players and coaches from before my time, and I don't want to die with all this information inside me," he said.

"If there's anyone I can help, or learn from, I'm happy to help if people ask."

Saracens' South African connection is well documented and with 12 countrymen and an upcoming Heineken Cup fixture against Biarritz scheduled to be played in Cape Town early next year, Smit will be in familiar surroundings.

The club's vision is also to take the Saracens name beyond England in order to build long-term financial security and an unrivalled fan base stretching across continents.

"From a televised point of view we see far more Saracens games on our local network in South Africa than we do of any of the other Premiership teams," Smit explained.

"It's a team that is widely known around South Africa. This trip to play in Cape Town is another sign of the club expanding and trying to grow to become a worldwide brand and not just a club in England. It's another reason why it is that much easier to choose a club like Saracens."