Wednesday 19 October 2011

Chema Backs Garcia for Medinah


European Ryder Cup captain Jose Maria Olazabal expects fellow Spaniard Sergio Garcia to be part of his team at Medinah next year.

Garcia played in five straight Ryder Cups from his debut in 1999 but that run ended last year when a slump meant he failed to make the line-up at  Celtic Manor.

Olazabal's predecessor, Colin Montgomerie, enlisted Garcia's services as a vice-captain as Europe regained the trophy in thrilling fashion.

Garcia's form has started to improve during 2011, including top-10 finishes at the US Open and Open during the summer.

"I am sure Sergio will be in the Ryder Cup, he's got a special charisma and a solid game," said Olazabal.

"His best motivation is to know what it feels like to be in the Ryder Cup without playing."
Positive

Garcia, down at 49th in the world rankings, is teeing it up this week at his home club for the European Tour's Castello Masters and is in upbeat mood.

"It's been a very positive year. There is still room for improvement but things are much better," said the 31-year-old.

"I'm feeling much more confident about my game now. What I'm feeling right now is very different to what I was feeling before.

"Last year I was here physically but not mentally. I tried hard but my mind wasn't where it needed to be."

On his Ryder Cup ambitions, the former world number two added: "The Ryder Cup is one of my goals. I want to make it.

"Everyone knows how special it is to me. As Jose Maria said, I know what it is like to be there without playing and I don't want to repeat the experience.

"Unless I go as captain I won't go back to the Ryder Cup if I'm not playing."