Sunday 23 October 2011

Garcia Returns to Winning Ways


Sergio Garcia ended his three-year wait for a tournament victory by winning the Castello Masters by 11 shots.

The 31-year-old had taken an eight-shot lead into the final day and dominated again with a superb round of 63 on the Club de Campo del Mediterraneo course where he was boys champion aged 12.

Garcia, who was the tournament promoter, finished with his ninth birdie of the day for a 27-under total.

It gave the Spaniard his ninth European Tour career victory.

His compatriot Gonzalo Fernandez-Castano finished second after a 64 - although his round was spoiled slightly by two bogeys at the 17th and 18th while Scotland's Richie Ramsay and Sweden's Alex Noren were a shot further back on 15 under.

Garcia's victory, his second in four years in the event, beat the previous biggest winning margin of the European Tour season by three shots.

None of his previous 18 wins as a professional had been by more than four strokes.

There have been only two bigger wins in European Tour history - Tiger Woods won the 2000 US Open by 15 and Ernie Els the 2005 Asian Open by 13 - while the only player to finish more under par was Els who was 29 under at the 2003 Johnnie Walker Classic.

However, Garcia's performance will not enter the official record books because placing on the fairways was allowed all week.

"That was for Seve," said Garcia after sending a kiss to the skies in tribute to friend Seve Ballesteros, who died earlier this year after a brain tumour.

"I would like to thank not only my family and friends, but also my sponsors, everyone that's around me, for supporting me through two tough years," he added.

"They have stuck with me and believed in me and I'm happy to be able to pay them back with this victory.

"At the beginning of the week there's always a little extra pressure because you want to do well in front of your home fans and on your home course.

"But I felt really good and it showed. Hopefully I can keep moving forward, but there are still some things I can improve on."