Saturday 18 June 2011

Westwood Knows he Needs a Miracle


Lee Westwood is not prepared to give up the fight for a first major title just yet, despite slipping 12 shots behind US Open leader Rory McIlroy at the halfway stage.

The English world number two improved from four over to one over with a 68 on Friday, and still considers himself to be in contention at Congressional - if only just.

McIlroy and Westwood are Ryder Cup teammates and share the same management company, but when asked what advice he would offer the younger man, Westwood responded: "I'm supposed to beat him over the next two days. I'm hardly going to give him advice, am I?"

The size of the task, though, can be measured by how Westwood plans to approach the closing 36 holes.

"I'm more looking at YE Yang now (the Korean is second six shots back), trying to catch him. If I'm going to win the tournament then I need Rory to play poorly.

"I might play great and shoot 11 under par and get to 10 (under), but if he shoots level then he wins.

"But when you've got a six-shot lead - I know because I've had a few - everybody gives you the tournament almost."

World number one Luke Donald is three shots further back from Westwood and had to wait until Saturday morning for confirmation that he had made the cut on four over after two rain stoppages on the second day.
Total control

"Rory is very impressive," he said. "It's nice to see a player in total control - it doesn't happen too often."

"If I'm going to win the tournament then I need Rory to play poorly. I might play great and shoot 11 under par and get to 10 (under), but if he shoots level then he wins. But when you've got a six-shot lead - I know because I've had a few - everybody gives you the tournament almost." 

Defending champion Graeme McDowell, also McIlroy's fellow Northern Irishman and Ryder Cup partner, is now 13 behind after a closing bogey six for 74.

"When you see what Rory is doing it's tough not to go out there and want to attack and then you get frustrated," he commented.

"Although he is 22 he's a very experienced young man and his experience at Augusta will stand him in good stead here.

"He probably won't get a better US Open lay-out to suits him than this. He's probably one of the best drivers I've ever seen and I wish him all the best.

"We nicknamed him the BMW because he is the 'ultimate driving machine'. He's decimated this course and this is no easy test - it's an amazing display."

Dubliner Padraig Harrington, two over like McDowell, made it plain he does not expect a repeat of McIlroy's 80 in the Masters in April.

"Augusta can always catch up with you. On any of the par fives your rival can make eagle, but there's not holes like that out here.

"Most of the holes if you hit a bad shot you are making bogey. There's not big swing holes."

No comments: