Monday 27 June 2011

Rafa Nadal Critical of ITF Schedule


Rafael Nadal has launched a scathing attack on the International Tennis Federation (ITF) accusing it of having 'zero consideration' towards players.

The source of the Spanish star's irritation is the ITF's organisation of Davis Cup matches, which he labelled 'inconsiderate'.

Nadal, who is currently in London defending his Wimbledon title, has pulled out of Spain's Davis Cup clash against the United States next month to rest.

The world number one said that the tournament would not be able to attract the top players due to the hectic scheduling by the ITF and risked losing its prestige.

"The International Tennis Federation (ITF) continues to get it wrong by insisting with the format and calendar for the Davis Cup," he said.

"There is zero consideration towards us, the players. If the best players don't attend, the competition loses prestige. The ITF should ask themselves why this happens."
Priority

Nadal said that he wanted to remain in top shape for the US Open and had decided not to take part in the Davis Cup match to preserve his health.

"I won't be there," he said. "The priority is to be healthy and I have to stop. I can't be everywhere.

"After finishing the first part of the season I need to rest. I need 15 to 20 days to be in good shape for the second half of the season.

"I should have a check-up on my knees, and see how everything is going with the treatment we did, which is what has allowed me to carry on.

"The idea is to do what I did in 2010 to arrive the same or even better prepared for the US Open."


No comments: