Thursday 16 June 2011

Fans Grief Looms for Lerner at Villa

McLeish looks likley candidate

Aston Villa club owner Randy Lerner portrayed a business like approach when he arrived in the UK last week to interview the potential candidates for the vacancy left following the departure of Gerard Houllier. Adding to the sense of urgency was former Villa manager, Graham Taylor, who encouraged a quick decision by the club following the delays associated with the appointment of Houllier last year, which saw the Frenchman miss a few weeks of the early season, 

In fairness, that was easier said than done given Martin O'Neill resigned five days before the season kicked off. All seemed on track when the focus moved to Wigan boss Roberto Martinez for a few days and 

However his decision to remain at Wigan seemed to setback Aston Villa - as they had discounted interest from Rafa Benitez and Mark Hughes during those early days. With the former Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelloti stating he was not available either, given his intention to take a year off from the game, the landscape did not look as settled. 

On Sunday afternoon Alex McLeish resigned abruptly from his position with Birmingham City and became the most likely candidate almost immediately. 

On Thursday the remarks from the new Nottingham Forest manager Steve McClaren that he was approached by Aston Villa adds to a sense of confusion about the whole process, despite Lerner’s best intentions.

McClaren had originally emerged as a frontrunner to replace Houllier at Villa Park, and was due to meet with club officials before Villa had a change of heart and they turned their interests elsewhere. There were suggestions that a negative response from supporters led to Villa's decision, although McClaren insists he does not bear any grudge. 

"There was an approach, an appointment was set up that wasn't fulfilled. I moved on," he said. "At the time it was a disappointment, but I've had many highs and lows. You quickly move on." 

The former England manager, talking for the first time since being appointed by Forest, said that his experiences at international level, and managing FC Twente and Wolfsburg, would serve him well in the Championship. 

"You learn from those experiences and your philosophy always develops. Going abroad has made me a better coach and now I look forward to bringing those experiences and what I have learned here to Nottingham Forest. 

"A small number of people will concentrate on the England thing and maybe view me in a bad light but I think the majority of people will be, and have been, supportive. 

"I can't change some of those views but the people who know football know me and they have been very supportive. I don't feel I have anything to prove. I came back to England because I wanted to. I had offers to stay on the continent but the challenge of English football, and Nottingham Forest, is what brought me back." 

He added: "I wanted a new challenge in this country, a big challenge. I wouldn't be sat here if I didn't think I was the man to fulfil everybody's dream of playing the Premier League. That is the ultimate goal." 

On Wednesday fans gathered outside Villa Park to protest against the appointment., while over 17,000 have signed up to a Facebook group against the deal. 

On Tuesday graffiti was also sprayed on the entrance to the Arson Villa training ground at Bodymoor Heath outside Birmingham.


No comments: