Saturday 9 April 2016

Ian Woosnam Ends Masters Career

Woosnam
Ian Woosnam The Masters, Round 2 - Getty Images
Former champion Ian Woosnam says the 2016 Masters will be his last because of a persistent back injury.

The 58-year-old is set to miss the cut after finishing his second round 19 over par, following his opening score of 82 by carding an 81.

It is 25 years since Woosnam triumphed at Augusta to become the first - and still only - Welshman to win one of golf's major championships.

"I am in pain all the way round so it's time to say bye-bye really," he said.

"There's not much they can do. I have ankylosing spondylitis and I can't play with all the slopes here.

"I was swinging it beautiful before I came here. I am always taking painkillers just to play golf but it's just too tough here for me.

"I said in the past that if I started shooting in the 80s I would call it a day."

Woosnam carded a double bogey, eight bogeys and a solitary birdie on the 15th in his final competitive round at Augusta.

But he could take the positives from finishing with a par on the 18th, just as he did in 1991 to edge out Jose Maria Olazabal and Tom Watson for the Green Jacket.

"That was a great way to finish. The 18th was as well as I played this week," added Woosnam.

"It's just getting really tough. That's my last go. I am not fit enough to play with my bad back.

"Every time I play this course it just seizes on me and I can't swing the club properly.

"It's time for me to sit back and watch. I'll still keep coming to the tournament obviously.

"It's a shame to finish off playing like that but you can only do your best. Never mind, I've still got a green jacket."


No comments: