Friday 5 February 2016

Panthers Davis to Play with Pain


Carolina Panthers linebacker Thomas Davis is prepared to play through the pain barrier at Super Bowl 50 after having surgery on a broken arm only nine days ago.

Davis has received the green light from the NFC champions' medical team to face the Denver Broncos this Sunday in the biggest game of his 11-year NFL career.

He is no stranger to overcoming serious setbacks following three torn anterior cruciate ligament injuries, but there has been little time for him to overcome his latest problem before the season finale at Levi's Stadium.

Davis broke his right arm in the 49-15 win over the Arizona Cardinals in the NFC Championship Game and knows he is likely to be in discomfort on Sunday having had a plate and screws inserted.

"You don't sit around and think about it," he said. "Our doctors came up with a game-plan and they feel confident that I can go out and play at a high level.

"With them having confidence, that pushes my confidence level up. I know how I feel right now.

"I understand that on game day it's really going to boil down to how much pain that I can actually play through. There are not going to be any limitations, I can go out there and actually play.

"But I just had surgery a little bit over a week ago, it's going to hurt but you play the game with pain all the time.

Asked about his pain threshold, he added: "It's definitely a lot higher than you would imagine and given that this is the Super Bowl, you figure out a way to play through things. That's something I'm going to be doing.

"When it comes down to actually playing with limitations and playing through pain - it's two different things. Playing with pain is something that you can deal with and that's what I'm going to be doing, I'll deal with it."


No comments: