Monday 12 November 2012

Andy Murray Remains Postive

Getty Images
Andy Murray was keen to take the positives from his 2012 season following his defeat to Roger Federer at the ATP World Tour Finals.

The British No 1 was unable to cap a campaign which saw him claim his maiden Grand Slam title with victory in the season-ending event as he was comfortably dispatched 7-6 (7-5) 6-2 in the semi-finals by the second seed.

But Murray, who also won the Olympic gold medal this year, chose not to dwell on the disappointment of Sunday night.

"It was an incredibly positive year. I would have loved to finish the year on a win, of course. I'm sure Roger and Novak both will on Monday," he said.

"But I wouldn't say whoever wins or loses the final will look back on the year with huge disappointment. I think both of them have played really well this whole year and I have to try to view it the same.

"It's been the best year of my career by a mile. So why I would look back on that negatively now would be silly because I've achieved things I've never achieved before."

The US Open champion made a fast start but Federer came storming back and in the end was able to cruise across the finish line.

"I think he played well. I didn't think it was an incredibly high standard in terms of the length of points. There were a lot of quick points," Murray said.

"I started the match well. He came back in, got the tie-break. If you watched the game where I got broken from 40-0 in the second set, that was because I hit three drop shots in that game and missed a regulation backhand in the net.

"Once he gets ahead he's incredibly hard to stop. He tends to play better and better when he gets up. I feel like I gave him that advantage at the beginning of the second set."


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: