Thursday 11 October 2012

Tiger Thinking of Europe

Getty Images
Tiger Woods will consider the possibility of joining the European Tour after changes are made to membership qualification rules.

The European Tour is expected to announce soon that participation in the Ryder Cup, the Presidents Cup and the Seve Trophy will count toward the 13 events needed for membership.

Woods said that he last looked into joining the European Tour in 2000 when the requirement was 11 events.

"I knew I would have to play one of two more events back then when it was 11 but now that criteria is 13," he said at the World Golf Finals in Turkey.

"I don't know what my numbers are – I know I played 19 in the States this year – and whether it crosses over or not, but I will again look at it. I did play Abu Dhabi but then 13 events are certainly a lot more than 11, especially playing full time in the States."

Woods would be only two or three events short of the 13 if the list includes the Ryder Cup, the Presidents Cup, four majors, four World Golf Championship events and appearances in either Abu Dhabi or Dubai.

Meanwhile, organisers said they hope Woods will compete in the inaugural Turkish Open next year. The event will be played on 7-10 November 2013 at The Montgomerie Course in Belek.

Ahmet Agaoglu, the president of the Turkish Golf Federation, said the 78-player European Tour event will take place a week before the season-ending Dubai championship.



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: