Monday 22 October 2012

Evans Admits Ferrari Meeting

Getty Images
Cadel Evans has admitted meeting with Michele Ferrari, but denies discussing doping with the disgraced sports doctor.

Ferrari is a key figure in the Lance Armstrong drug scandal and was handed a life ban in cycling after the publication of a U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) dossier.

The report accused Armstrong of running "the most sophisticated, professionalised and successful doping programme that sport has ever seen" and alleged it was organised by Ferrari, a consultant to the US Postal Service team.

Evans, who has been hailed as a big anti-doping advocate by Armstrong's former team-mate and confessed doper Tyler Hamilton, has also been linked with Ferrari as he had a consultation in summer 2000, but the Australian says they never discussed doping.

"I have never seen or had contact before or after this test," the 35-year-old told Australian TV channel SBS by email.

"I was recommended to take a test by my manager Tony Rominger to understand if I had the capabilities to race on the road. I took the test as Mr Ferrari described on his website. Mr Ferrari briefly explained the results to me and the meeting was over.

"My only motive at the time...was to understand my capabilities as a road rider.

"At that time, Mr Ferrari's opinion was very highly regarded by teams and team managers, and therefore helpful for me to gain opportunities with road teams.

"There was never any discussion of doping (with Dr Ferrari) or any sign of anything illegal."



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: