Wednesday 19 September 2012

Stoner Hints at Car Racing Future

Getty Images
Casey Stoner has hinted at a future in car racing after he retires from MotoGP at the end of the season.

Stoner, 26, is currently recovering from ankle surgery and will quit the sport at the end of the year.

He told Australian Channel Seven: "I'm hoping to go car racing, it's been a long time dream of mine.

"I've had a huge passion for V8s since I've been 12 or 14 years old. In the not too distant future I could be on the grid, you never know."

Stoner was speaking at the Sandown 500 V8 Supercars race near Melbourne and is a fanof the Australian series, which is similar to the touring car championship.

He said: "Just recently I've shown more interest in cars.

"I have to be realistic and see whether I'll be quick enough or not to be competitive, but it's something I'd like to give a go, and I'll definitely be around the paddock."

Reigning MotoGP champion Stoner has missed the last two races after breaking his ankle in a crash during qualifying in Indianapolis.

He aims to be back in time for his home race in Australia - where he has won for the last five years - on 28 October and revealed that his recovery is going well.

He said: "The ligaments are healing as well as they can be.

"We had a fantastic surgeon, he's done a great job with very small scars, so healing time's going to be minimal, but unfortunately with what I've done we've really got to keep some weight off it and try and let it heal before I get back on a bike.

"I think it's going to be tough to make it six in a row at Phillip Island, but we'll definitely be there, even if they have to duck-tape me to the bike.

"I'll definitely be lining up for that one. I'm hoping to get back for a couple before that, but we'll see how things go and cross the fingers we can be back there."



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: