Tuesday 11 September 2012

Stoner Targets Phillip Island


Getty Images
The defending MotoGP champion had an operation last month to repair torn ligaments and remove bone fragments following a crash in Indianapolis.

The 26-year-old retires at the end of the season but hopes to return before the Australian Grand Prix in October.

He said: "I've still got a season to finish, I've still got a job to do and career to see through."

Stoner will be replaced at next weekend's Misano GP by Northern Irishman Jonathan Rea but is keen to be back on his Repsol Honda before his home race at Phillip Island. He said: "My goal is to get back on the bike, for it to end like this would be a disaster for me.

"I'll see it through to the end.

"I'll be back as soon as I can to finish as many races as I can before the end of the season.

"Even now with the operation, with the damage done, my ankle probably is never going to be back to 100 per cent."

There are six races left in the MotoGP calendar, with Stoner currently 59 points behind leader Jorge Lorenzo in the standings.

The Australian has already conceded that his chances of retaining his title are over.


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: