Monday 20 August 2012

Wiggins Accepts Cav May Leave


Tour de France and Olympic time-trial champion Bradley Wiggins accepts fellow British star Mark Cavendish may have to leave Team Sky.

Cavendish was part of the successful team which propelled Wiggins to his historic triumph in France this summer but was frustrated in his own personal ambitions.

The Manxman won the green jersey as top sprinter in 2011 but was this year limited to just three stage wins as team orders took priority.

The 27-year-old still has two-and-a-half years of his lucrative deal with Sky remaining but there has been speculation he is seeking a way out.

Wiggins, 32, said: 'On a personal level I have enjoyed riding with him this year and I enjoy his company, but I understand why he would probably have to leave.

'I love seeing him win as much as anyone else and to see Mark back out on the Tour winning six, seven or eight different stages and challenging for the green, he probably has to go.

'At Sky we have set a precedent now. If we are going to dominate cycling and win three grand tours in a year, we have to start building to that GC [general classification] thing.

'Unfortunately for Mark, as we saw in the Tour, the two don't really go well together.

'For his own career, I understand why he has to do it but from a selfish point of view I would like him to stay.'

Wiggins had originally been scheduled to return to action after his London 2012 victory in the Tour of Denmark next week but has now been given extra time off.

Instead he will next race in the Tour of Britain, which begins in Ipswich on September 9. From there he will then go to the Road World Championships in Holland but he intends to let others enjoy the glory this time and will not contest the time-trial.

He said: 'For me (it is) not big at all, I am the Olympic champion. That is the one everyone wants to win.

'I won't be doing the time-trial. I have a lot of commitments now in the next six weeks and I am probably not going to be able to give the time to the training that is required to win the gold there.

'I will be there in a supporting role to help the guys in the road race and it is the same with the Tour of Britain.

'A lot of guys have ridden for me all year and rather than just stop and say I have won what I wanted to win and go on holiday for six months and get fat, I thought it would be nice to go back there and help the team in those races.'

The eight-stage Tour of Britain could effectively provide Wiggins with a personal lap of honour with cycling enjoying a boom and huge crowds likely to greet him around the country.

He feels that should more than make up for missing the planned Team GB victory parade in London on September 10.

Wiggins said: 'The Olympics was amazing and so was the team success, but my day job is riding a bike.

'The season doesn't end until October and you have to go back to work at some point.

'I can't live off the Olympics for the next two months. I did that eight years ago.

'I have had the last couple of weeks living in the Olympic bubble, going to events, meeting people you never expected to meet, but I have got to get back to training now.

'As nice as it would be to spend the day in London, it has got to end somewhere.

'It's like the summer holidays. You have got to go back to school on Monday morning.

'It's disappointing but exciting that I'm going to do the Tour of Britain.'

Wiggins was speaking after opening and participating in the inaugural 'Ride with Brad', a mass participation public cycling event to raise money for his own foundation, in Barnoldswick, Lancashire.

As Wiggins prepares to return to training, his plans for the winter do not include appearing as a celebrity mentor on the next series of TV's X Factor, as has been rumoured.

He said: 'Let's not talk about the X Factor. Compared to the Olympics - everywhere you went the country was on a high and as athletes it was phenomenal to see that.

'Then you see X Factor and it's like, "Oh God, everyone's got to put up with that all winter now".'


No comments: