Friday 24 August 2012

Colsaerts Stays in Medinah Hunt


A strong finish to his second round kept Nicolas Colsaerts in contention not only for the Johnnie Walker Championship at Gleneagles title but also a Ryder Cup debut.

The 29 year old needs a top-two finish to assure his place as the first Belgian to play in the contest, and three birdies in his last five holes took him up to a share of seventh with two rounds to play.

Not that missing out on automatic qualification would necessarily spell the end for Colsaerts - José María Olazábal names two wild cards on Monday and the Volvo Match Play Championship is thought to be one of the frontrunners along with the likes of Ian Poulter, Padraig Harrington and Thomas Björn.

Speaking after a second round 70 which left him three behind English pair Richard Finch and Mark Foster, Colsaerts said: “I feel pretty good, because it wasn't a very convincing round with a couple of holes to go. I didn't feel as loose as I did yesterday.”

With two par fives and a driveable par four over the closing stretch at The Gleneagles Hotel, The European Tour’s longest hitter was always likely to be able to make up ground after bogeys at the seventh and 13th.

He added: “When you don't really have a good round going, I was just trying to get my way around. I knew the last couple of holes were good birdie opportunities for me, so I was ready to capitalise on those. 

“I didn't shoot myself out of this by finishing in quite a good fashion today, so I think that was the most important thing for me.

“I know I'm going to need two good rounds. It's quite crowded but I'm been playing well for quite some time now, so there's no reason why I can't put two good rounds together.”



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: