Thursday 29 December 2011

Wrighty Seeks Fresh Gunners Backroom


Ian Wright says it's time for Arsene Wenger to freshen up his backroom staff.

The Arsenal boss came under intense pressure at the start of the season following a poor start to the campaign.

Wenger's men have since picked up their form with just one defeat in their last 10 Premier League games.

However, former Gunners striker Wright would like to see the club take a new approach with both playing and non-playing staff.

"(Arsene Wenger's) got unbelievable faith in the youngsters that he's got there," he told Goals on Sunday.

"I've only ever said with Arsene Wenger that we should be making signings that not only bring them on, but that other players are attracted to the club with.

"Over the years we haven't done that for whatever reason - whether they've got the money, they haven't got the money, it's the stadium, whatever.

"I think he's a company man and doesn't come out and speak badly against the board. He does what he does and he has the faith in the youth.

"But in respect of what Arsene Wenger has done there; I can't really put into words how he has taken the club to that level that he's taken it to.

"He is the best and I've never ever wanted him to leave, but I do feel he needs to freshen up his backroom staff, just to get some different ideas in there."
Second

An Arsenal legend, Wright is currently second in the club's all-time top scorer charts with 185 goals for the north Londoners.

Only Thierry Henry - with 226 goals - has scored more times for the Gunners and Wright admitted he felt no shame coming second to another of the club's all-time greats.

"People always say 'oh Thierry beat you' but it doesn't bother me to come second to Thierry - a World Cup winner, a European Cup winner.

"He's done everything and will go down as one of the top 10 strikers in the world, so there's no shame in that.

"When I went to Arsenal people were saying I might not even get in the team and I was scoring goals for fun at the time. So just to get in the team and end up winning stuff - that's all I wanted to do when I went to Arsenal.

"I wanted to have something to show for being there and in the end it was great - and not only because I'm an all-time top scorer.

"If Robin (van Persie) carries on like he is I'll probably end up third, but it's going to take at least 40 years to get me out of the top 10! So you can't really complain about that."