Monday 26 December 2011

Real's Mourinho Plans Premier Return


Former Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has said his next step in management will be a return to the Premier League.

The Portuguese is currently coach of Spanish side Real Madrid but admitted that, while he is happy there, his "passion is in England".

Speaking to Lord Coe, who was guest editing BBC Radio 4's Today programme on Boxing Day, Mourinho added: "My next step will be to go back [to England]."

He then joked with Coe: "Get me a club in a couple of years."

Mourinho, who left Chelsea in 2007 after winning two Premier League titles, the FA Cup and League Cup, went on to win the treble of Champions League, Italian league and cup with Inter Milan before moving to Madrid in 2010.

He has guided Real to the top of the Primera Division, three points clear of Barcelona going into the winter break.

"I believe it is probably the biggest club in the history of football. I didn't want to miss the chance to work here," Mourinho said of Real Madrid.

"But my next step will be to go back [to England] if possible and stay for a long time."

Mourinho has long been linked with a move to Manchester United when Sir Alex Ferguson retires.

In July 2009, while manager of Inter, Mourinho said: "I would consider going to Manchester United but United have to consider if they want me to succeed Sir Alex Ferguson. If they do, then of course."

However, earlier this year, Ferguson said: "It's difficult for me to say when my position will be available. It will be my health that decides. I will continue until I no longer feel the energy that has always accompanied me."