Friday 30 December 2011

Rogers Swansea Key for Donnelly


Swansea City have won the race for Cliftonville striker Rory Donnelly after announcing his signing for an undisclosed fee.

Liverpool and Everton were both interested in the 19-year-old, but Brendan Rodgers was always in pole position to agree a deal.

Donnelly completed a medical at Liberty Stadium on Friday afternoon and signed a contract which will keep him with the Welsh club until the summer of 2015.

The paperwork will be made official when the transfer window opens on 1st January and Rodgers is excited about working with the teenager.

He told Swansea's official website: "We are delighted to be able to attract one of Northern Ireland's biggest talents.

"I am really looking forward to helping Rory fulfil his potential and, hopefully, over the next few years ensure that Swansea City has another exciting young player blossoming at the club."
Brilliant

Donnelly is also relishing the move and has revealed meeting the likes of Scott Sinclair and Joe Allen helped make his decision to snub Liverpool and Everton.

"Everything has happened so quickly that I still can't quite believe it," he said. "It's a dream come true.

"I was really impressed with what the manager had to say when I met him. He couldn't have done anything more to impress me.

"I believe I am signing for a brilliant manager who is prepared to give youth a chance. I also met the likes of Scott Sinclair and Joe Allen when I was over here last week and it only reinforced the belief that Swansea is the right club for me.

"I know there was serious interest from Everton and Liverpool, but I love the way Swansea play the game and I think it will suit me.

"The manager has told me there is no pressure on me because I am only 19. In time there will be pressure, but not right now.

"He has shown a lot of faith in me and, hopefully, in time I can repay him with plenty of goals."