Tuesday 30 August 2011

Wozniacki Makes Winning Start


World number one Caroline Wozniacki produced a commanding display against Spain's Nuria Llagostera Vives as she made a winning start at the US Open.

Wozniacki won 6-3 6-1 on Arthur Ashe Stadium and will play Arantxa Rus of the Netherlands in round two.

There was a shock on Louis Armstrong Stadium as former junior number one Simona Halep of Romania beat sixth seed and French Open champion Li Na 6-2 7-5.

Title favourite Serena Williams plays Bojana Jovanovski in the night session.

Wozniacki suffered two first-round defeats on her arrival in North America after Wimbledon and was thankful for ending that run with a fourth consecutive New Haven title last week.

"Yeah, I've gotten a couple of losses, but that's what happens," she said.

"I tried a few things that didn't work out but I came back last week and won in New Haven, which was a great feeling.

"I'm number one still and I've just won a tournament, so I'm feeling fine, I'm feeling good."

The American missed last year's US Open and her lengthy absence from the sport meant she has been seeded down at 29th.

Fourth seed Victoria Azarenka and 11th seed Jelena Jankovic also progressed on Tuesday, Azarenka beating Sweden's Johanna Larsson 6-1 6-3 and Jankovic defeating Alison Riske of the United States 6-2 6-0.

"There are always things that could have been done better, but I think I had a pretty solid start," said Azarenka, who could face Serena Williams in the third round.

"I'm not interested about that before I go out there," the Belarusian said of that potential match. "We'll talk about it later maybe."

Wimbledon semi-finalist and 22nd seed Sabine Lisicki eased past Alona Bondarenko 6-3 6-3 to set up a second-round meeting with the unseeded Venus Williams.

Germany's Andrea Petkovic, the 10th seed, defeated Ekaterina Bychkova of Russia 6-2 6-2.


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: