Tuesday 2 August 2011

Fabio Capello Questions Friendlies


England manager Fabio Capello has questioned holding friendlies in August ahead of his side's game with Holland at Wembley on August 10.

England face the 2010 World Cup runners-up three days before the start of the Premier League season and Capello admits it is not an ideal time.

"The timing is difficult. You need to ask Fifa, they decided this," he said.

"I can't watch any of the players I need to choose. I don't know what level any of the players will be."

England play key Euro 2012 qualifying games against Bulgaria and Wales in September, and while in the past England friendlies have been used to experiment with new players, Capello insists he is taking the Holland game seriously.

"Now I need to prepare for the qualifying games," he added. "I make experiments if it's possible when the games are not so important, but this game is very important because we then have a really short time to prepare for the next qualification games."

Manchester United chief executive David Gill has also joined the growing call from Europe's leading clubs for changes to Fifa's fixture calendar.

United returned from their five-match tour of North America knowing that immediately after Sunday's Community Shield encounter with Manchester City at Wembley, they will lose players to international friendly matches.

"There are some issues," said Gill. "The way the calendar is constructed, the number of dates Fifa put in, insurance.

"There are no easy solutions. These things have been around for many years but if we can get together, it will be for the betterment of the game."

Capello's contract with the Football Association runs out after the Euro 2012 Championships and the 65-year-old is intending to go out on a high after England's disappointing performance at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

"I think my last year will be very good, I hope so. I try to make everything better," Capello said.

"I study, I prepare, I focus. I hope that at the end of my career we will win a trophy.

"I hope so because when you are a winner, you want to win something, not to lose."

Capello faces a few injury concerns ahead of the Holland game. He is already without Steven Gerrard, while Arsenal's Jack Wilshere and Theo Walcott are also doubts for the game.


No comments: