Monday 8 August 2011

John Toshack to Manage Macedonia


John Toshack has made a return to football as the new manager of Macedonia, raising the intriguing prospect of him facing Wales, who were drawn in the same World Cup 2014 qualification group.

Toshack has been out of work since his second spell as Wales manager ended 11 months ago, after six largely disappointing years in charge. The 62-year-old's first game as manager of Macedonia will be the Euro 2012 qualifier against Russia on 2 September, with his first home match four days later, against Andorra. 

Macedonia are second bottom of Group B, nine points adrift of the Republic of Ireland, Russia and Slovakia.

The final Euro 2012 matches will provide Toshack with a chance to start planning for the 2014 World Cup qualification campaign, where Macedonia will face Wales, Scotland, Belgium and two Balkan rivals, Croatia and Serbia.

"I am truly grateful that the FFM [Football Federation of Macedonia] chose me to be the manager of the national team," Toshack said. "The people were great, open, and gave me belief that we can work together to reach new heights for Macedonian football. I will watch the upcoming friendly against Azerbaijan and together with information about the Euro 2012 qualifiers Macedonia have already played, I will get a clear picture regarding the team's potential.

"It will be hard to play against my Wales but I can't think how Welsh fans will react because I am a professional and will do my best to turn things around in Macedonia. It is a tough group but it's also balanced."



No comments: