Tuesday 5 July 2011

Gerrard to Miss Liverpool Asia Tour


Steven Gerrard will miss Liverpool's pre-season tour of Asia as he continues to recover from two groin operations.

The 31-year-old England midfielder has been out of action since March.

"I'm sure people will appreciate Steven giving himself the best opportunity to play against Sunderland on the opening day of the new campaign," manager Kenny Dalglish told the club website.

"Steven and the medical team are in the final stages of getting him back to full training."

Gerrard initially had surgery after picking up the injury in the win at Chelsea in February and was scheduled to return before the end of last season.

But the Reds captain suffered a setback in his recovery and went under the knife for a second time in April, signalling the end of his campaign.

"I'd really been looking to travelling and meeting first hand as many as our fans as possible," said Gerrard.

"I'm really sorry that I won't now be able to do that.

"But after sitting down and talking with our medical experts, it's been decided that the best course of action is for me to continue my rehabilitation programme at Melwood.

"It's disappointing I won't be with them, but I'm sure the lads who go out there will put a great show on for our fans."

Liverpool will play games in China and Malayia as well as training in Singapore on the eight-day trip to the Far East, which begins on Sunday.

They begin their Premier League season at home to Sunderland on Saturday, 13 August before travelling to Arsenal a week later.


No comments: