Sunday 31 July 2011

Harrington and Torrance Take Break

Torrance and Harrington Ryder Cup 2010
Photo by Sam Greenwood/Getty Images Europe


Padraig Harrington has decided he needs a break from long-term coach Bob Torrance.

After missing the cut in the Irish Open on Friday, Harrington, down from third to 64th in the world, said: "I'm not thinking of changing personnel. I've got to change something in myself, attitude or something along the lines of that."

But the Dubliner told reporters this weekend: "We haven't split. We are having a break because I am getting very frustrated. Until I am ready to listen to what he has to say we are having a break."

Harrington starts life without the 79-year-old father of former Ryder Cup captain Sam Torrance at the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational in Akron this week, with the final major of the season - the USPGA Championship - coming straight afterwards.

He has not won a Tour event in America or Europe since the last of his three majors came in the PGA three years ago, although he won the Iskandar Johor Open in Malaysia late last season.

Torrance, one of the most respected coaches in golf, said: "He's like a son to me and I hope we can get back together.

"We've been together for 15 years and I wasn't really expecting this, but I know he's been unhappy,

"His game is in a bad shape because of his mind - I've said that to him - but he's determined to make changes."

Under Torrance's guidance, Harrington, who turns 40 at the end of August, won two Open titles and a USPGA.


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: