Wednesday 20 July 2011

Tiger Confirms Parting with Williams

Williams with Scott at Open

Former world number one Tiger Woods has parted company with Steve Williams, who had been his caddie since 1999.

Woods, who missed last week's Open because of a leg injury, made the announcement on his official website.

Woods said: "I want to express my deepest gratitude to Stevie, but I think it's time for a change.

"Stevie is an outstanding caddie and a friend and has been instrumental in many of my accomplishments. I wish him great success in the future."

Williams has been working with Australian Adam Scott at the last two majors, and Woods has made no announcement yet about who will replace him when the 14-time major champion returns to action after his injury.

"Given the circumstances of the past 18 months working through Tiger's scandal, a new coach and with it a major swing change and Tiger battling through injuries, I am very disappointed to end our very successful partnership at this time." said Steve Williams

Williams was Woods's caddy for 13 of those 14 major wins, and was at one stage thought to be New Zealand's highest earning sporting figure.

Speaking to his official website, Williams confirmed the end of his relationship with Woods and revealed he would team up with Scott on a permanent basis.

He said: "After years of loyal service needless to say this came as a shock.

"I have had the opportunity to work of late for Australian Adam Scott and will now caddie for him on a permanent basis.

"Having started my caddying career with Australian great Peter Thompson and working for Greg Norman in the 80's I am excited about the future working for another Australian. "


No comments: