Monday 12 October 2015

Kerr Explains Warriors Absence

Getty Images
The Golden State Warriors coach, Steve Kerr, has clarified the reasons behind his leave of absence, explaining he stepped away from his duties due to complications from back surgery.

Kerr, who coached the Warriors to the championship last season, had an operation on his back in July. “I had a spinal fluid leak during the first surgery,” he told reporters on Sunday. “It’s very rare, it does happen occasionally, but it happens when there’s an accidental nick of the dura that surrounds the spinal cord. But I lost spinal fluid, took about a month to figure out what was going on, a lot of headaches, some other symptoms.”

Kerr had further surgery to address the problem at the start of September, which has caused his absence from the team. Kerr would not say when he would return to his duties on a full-time basis. “It’s a matter of your body sort of recalibrating,” he said. “Unfortunately, it’s not like a sprained ankle, one to two weeks. There’s no telling. It’s a little bit open-ended, but everyone’s confident I’m going to be fine. That’s where I am. I’m not going to be put a timetable on when I’m going to come back.”

The announcement appears to be an effort to explain to fans why Kerr has not been coaching the Warriors in the lead-up to the new season, which starts later this month. “I wanted to just tell you guys what I’m going through, what’s happened. Because I think there’s kind of a grey area, people wondering what’s going on,” he said.


No comments: